Saturday, January 7, 2012

Need legal advice, Spirit air has double charged me and will not budge, any opinions

Need legal advice, Spirit air has double charged me and will not budge, any opinions?
I wanted to book a flight to Tampa from Detroit over New Years to visit a friend. I first saw a direct flight on Orbitz through spirit for $377 and tried to book it online. However, at the end of the transaction attempt I received an error message saying that the transaction could not be processed and to reserve the flight I would have to contact the airline directly. So I went to spiritair.com and booked a flight and selected to depart on Dec 30th and return on January 4th (flight was only 285). I booked this flight and didn't check my itinerary to be sure it was correct (dumb on my part I know but I was in the middle of studying for a test and didn't). Well when I was looking at my credit card I noticed two charges by spiritair for both 377 and 285 and I called spirit to ask what happened. I only received itinerary for one flight and was told the second was canceled. When I was discussing this with them I noticed that my flight itinerary was incorrect and was scheduled to leave Dec 1st instead of Dec 30th! So I tried to dispute this as well but they stated that they would have to charge me 90 dollars and the difference in flights which would have put the ticket over $550 which I can't afford, I'm just a graduate student. They also told me to contact orbitz about the first charge. So I called orbitz and explained the situation and they told me that on their end the transaction was canceled and never went through that if it did i would have seen a $6.50 Orbitz service fee on my credit card statement which I did not see. So I called Spirit back and they refused to remove the charge that I did not make. I tried to argue with them since I had the same returning flight to just remove one of the charges and that I would pay the other on dates that I wanted but they refused. I told them that I would be taking this up with my credit card company and have done this. I disputed both charges and today learned that the Orbitz booked flight was redisputed by spirit and my credit card company said that they will need a written testimony by me to continue with the dispute. The second (wrong date) flight has not been brought back to visa (yet). First, for the orbitz flight, will I have a sufficient amount of data proving that this transaction was canceled since I have Orbitz stating what I am saying, that they canceled the transaction and no charges were made? Second, since the wrong date flight is truely my word vs theirs what is the chances of me settling this and visa backing me over the merchant? The merchant would not work with me at all or meet half way to try to settle this issue and I don't want to be paying >$750 in unused plane tickets (can't afford to) and Spirit's customer service is absolutely horrible. Is there any other way I should try to handle this situation? Any other legal outlets that are available to me? Please help with any similar situations/stories and possible methods to resolve this. Looks like I won't be going to Tampa for new years after all.
Air Travel - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well you've already started disputing this claim which is good. What I think you can do if Visa is taking too long is to put a freeze on your credit card, but I believe that to unfreeze your card you have to pay a fee to un-freeze the card. Hopefully that will help you.

Search News